Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Jesse Loyd's T-10 Recruiting Food Joints


We began looking for our staff for Summer 2014 this week.  Andy, Lauren and Erin are at John Brown University this week and we will invade the YOU of A next week.

There are 3 major things I judge a recruiting trip on at the end of it:
            3. Quality of Applicants
            2. Time with Former Staff
            1. FOOD!

I love food and I like to think of myself as somewhat of a Northwest Arkansas Food connoisseur.  If you need a good place to eat while you are up here let me know and I will try to steer you in the right direction.  For a reference just ask Ryan Fuller.  I sent him to some pretty good places this past summer.

I am putting together my T-10 Restaurants in towns that we recruit at for you to enjoy.  You should check them out and let me know what you think.

Here is the some of the limiting factors to this list:

  1. Not a “chain” restaurant.  There can be multiple locations but nothing that is regional or national.
  2. Under $15.  There are lots of places that you can eat well for a lot of money.  I am looking for places where you can eat well and not spend a fortune.  Value is key.
  3. Schools I recruit at.  Keep in mind that I have not been everywhere that we recruit.  I have never been to Manhattan, KS or Bolivar MO.  So let me know if there are restaurants that I have missed on this list due to me not have going to that school


SOOOO without further adieu… here is my T-10 Recruiting Food Stops

Red Rock Bakery is a great stop for breakfast or lunch.  Great sandwiches, salads and soup go really well with their amazing assortment of baked goods.  My guess would be that this would be on the Top of the Seaton’s list!

I really enjoyed Marias in 2010 when we took the MSU, Evangel and SBU staff here for our staff dinner.  I filled up on their chips and queso and had their steak fajitas.   Maria’s has a great location and vibe to it as well in downtown Springfield.

Jen Rediske and I ate here several times on our trip to recruit at NSU in 2008 and 2009.  They have a great assortment of sandwiches and soups, but don’t forget about dessert.  Pies, cakes and cookies!  A must stop in Tahlequah!

You have to drive a little ways out of Springfield for this but it is well worth the drive.  Lamberts motto is “Quality is more important than Quantity, but we offer both!”  You need to come hungry because there will be food literally thrown at you.  They are famous for their “throwed rolls,” but their food is very good.  You order your meat and then the servers walk around with country style sides.  Lambert also has a great atmosphere and is a definite stop for myself and Greg Taylor when in Springfield.

Sometimes you go to a restaurant and one entrée changes everything for you.  The Coconut Crusted Shrimp at Thai Café is one of the best entrees I have ever had in my life. It is shrimp that is batter fried in flour and coconut over a bed of rice with the most amazing sweet coconut sauce over it.  Thai Café is pretty unimpressive as you walk in, but this entrée will change your opinion fast!

This Fayetteville spot serves gourmet grilled cheese and soups.  It has become a favorite place of mine in my hometown because each time I go they have a different option of cheese or things to put in your grilled cheese.  The soups are great as well. I usually go with the “Jack of the Future” with the Black Bean Tortilla Soup.  It is definitely a place to get the whole “Fayetteville” experience.

This one might be unfair because I grew up in Fayetteville and Tiny Tim’s has been a Loyd family go-to restaurant for 20+ years.  Tiny Tim’s has a great setting and even better food.  Be ready for a wait if you try to go on Sunday’s after church or evenings on weekends.  The Tim’s International Pizza is their version of a Supreme and it is loaded with good toppings and fresh mozzarella cheese.  Add Tim’s homemade Ranch dressing and you have a killer slice. 

CJ’s has become a staple for the Arkansas Tech Staff Meal on our recruiting trips.  There is another local burger joint that gets a lot of press, but CJ’s fresh beef and fries knock them out.  You can’t find a better burger for my money.  They are grilled on the spot when you order them and they even have a free jukebox.   Russellville has a real gem in CJ’s!

Hugo’s is located in a basement in Fayetteville’s Historic Downtown District.  Hugo’s is known for their burgers, homemade French fries and their famous Beer Cheese Soup.  If there is one place in Fayetteville to get the whole “Fayetteville” experience, this is it!  I order the Guacamole Burger every time while Darrick and Jenny get their “Burger of the Damned” (not on the menu, gotta ask for it).  You can’t go wrong with Hugos!

There are 3 reasons that Stoby’s is #1on my list.  1. Cheese Dip!  They have world famous cheese dip.  You can get it in Yellow or White and I can give you first hand experience that they are both amazing.  Kris Allen (2009 American Idol Winner) was given free cheese dip for life! 2. Pie!  You can’t go and not get pie.  Stoby’s is a stop for the CWE Staff after Video Shows and whenever we want something sweet while in Russellville or Conway.  I love the Possum Pie, but the Chocolate Crème and Peanut Butter Pie are great as well.  3. Train Whistle! The Russellville location is on an old Train Car that is equipped with a fully functional train whistle.  It was probably meant for children but I get a pretty big kick out of pulling it when I am there.  I didn’t even mention the entrees!  There are many great menu items at Stoby’s!  It is a restaurant I will go to multiple times while in town.

Well… that is my list.  I must add that I will be going to Lawrence Kansas to recruit.  Molly says that I will be a big fan of TheBurger Stand aka “The Casbah” and Michelle Nelson has told me to visit BuffaloBob’s Smokehouse

What is your favorite eating spot in your college town???

5 comments:

  1. While I have to hate everything Lawrence on principle (EMAW), The Casbah's Black and Blue Burger + Sweet Potato Fries with ALL the crazy ketchups is hands down the best burger/fry combo to ever pass my lips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work at Vadilias in the Quah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me sick that Whole Hog and Grad School are not here for Springfield.

    ReplyDelete