Thursday, May 10, 2012


CWE Pre Camp Devo #3-Summer 2012

2 Peter 1:1-5b
“For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness…”


 “THE BLESSING”


We first met her about 6 years ago.“We” meaning my wife, Susan, and me.  She wasn’t really my first choice for the job.  My first choice had been Grace, but Grace had just accepted a new position in Colorado, so she wasn’t available.  Almost as an afterthought, Grace had mentioned a good friend of hers who was working in a marketing position that required a lot of travel.  Grace thought this friend might be ready for a change. So, “what the heck,” I thought, and I called her. 

The occasion of my call was that our long time Administrative Assistant, Mindy, had recently married and was unable to relocate to Arkansas for the summer.  Well, if you are going to work directly for Susan and me, you have to relocate because we relocate.  It’s just that simple.  She agreed to come in for a visit, so we visited.  I thought the interview was o.k., not great—certainly not bad—but we needed an assistant and of the three people I interviewed she seemed to make the most sense.  She must have thought so too, because when I offered her the job she took it. And that is how Katie Kasmiersky Hoercher came to work for Susan and me six years ago.  And now she is leaving.  Well, not now.  Not until the fall when her husband, Patrick Hoercher, who Katie met and married through their mutual Camp Ozark work experience, begins a second graduate program in theology, this time at Duke University.  Oh, and by the way, Katie will give birth to their first child about a month after they relocate.  (Talk about a lot of change in a short amount of time.)

I am happy for Katie, I am mad at Patrick for stealing her away (just kidding…kind of), I am sad for us, but most of all I am thankful.  Thankful that Katie has been a part of our camp family and my own family for these past 6 years.  Thankful that Katie has been such a wonderful part of what we do for the past 6 years.  Thankful that she has made such a profound impact on the camp experience and the people of camp, and thankful that Katie has been able to keep me straight for the past 6 years when my schedule has been really, really crazy.  Most of all, though, I am thankful for Katie because she is such a good person. She is one of, if not the, most pure-hearted people I have ever known.  You know most of us, to one extent or another, lose(or worse, never truly gain) that pure-heartedness that results in seeing the best in others, thinking the best of others, doing the best for others, and being the best you can be. 

In today’s scripture, Peter tells us that after we have settled the matter of our faith, without knowing anything else, without being a biblical scholar, without being part of a growth group, without the experiences of a lifetime, a believer can (and should) be good.  But what does that really mean? Goodness? To be good? Dictionary.com defines goodness as moral excellence.   Peter is telling us that as believers, in order to live the life God wants us to live, we must always strive to be virtuous, to live and practice the golden rule, and to be above reproach.  Look folks, goodness is not rocket science.  It’s thinking, speaking, and doing what is best for others.  It’s encouraging others, praying for others, and living a life above reproach.  You don’t have to have an ounce of knowledge to know what is good, what is right, what is just, what is merciful. And you don’t have to have an ounce of knowledge to practice it.  Peter knew that. That’s why he exhorted true believers to, first of all, practice goodness. 

This summer you can choose to grow in goodness…or not.  You can choose to live a life of moral excellence…or not.  You can choose to think, act, speak, and live a shining example of goodness…or not.  The choice is yours. But understand this: Peter was clear.  True practitioners of the Christian faith strive to be people who are first of all, before anything else…good.  Show me your theology, Peter says, and I will ask to see your goodness.  Speak your words, Peter says, and I will ask to see how you treat the children.  Sing your praises, Peter says, and I will ask to see how you respond to temptation, to trial, to dealing with difficult situations. Growing in goodness is the mark of growing in faith.  Peter knew that and so do you and me. You can’t fake goodness, and you for sure can’t fake it at camp.  The kids will see right through you. Goodness is such a simple concept yet such a difficult lifestyle.  Pray for the strength to practice real goodness this summer…and beyond.

As for Katie, I have hired her replacement, who is no doubt s going to be great,(in no small part because Katie is working overtime to make sure her replacement knows everything possible about the challenging task of managing me…and Susan).  But regardless, I am going to miss Katie greatly.  Not her work, though that has been outstanding. But more so who she is and how she is: a good person, a pure-hearted person, a person who manages to put up with me and keep smiling.  Thanks, Katie. You have truly been A BLESSING (I am still mad at you, though, Patrick).

No comments:

Post a Comment